From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:42:07 -0700
Here is an article which the public relations office of my hospital has written
based on an interview with one of my patients (first part of the article)
and an essay I wrote.  If you think of anything that should be changed,
email me stat at <[log in to unmask]>

It goes in the local newspaper Friday as part of an insert by IHC.

>By ARLY HELM
>Lactation Consultant
>
>        Both mother and baby were exhausted following an emergency
>c-section delivery on January 20, 1996. The infant, Kaitlin Elizabeth
>Lemki, spent three days in the newborn intermediate care unit at Logan
>Regional Hospital. But her mother, Amy Lemki of Logan, was committed
>to breastfeeding her daughter.
>        "Kaitlin was lethargic and had a hard time grasping the
>concept of breastfeeding," said Amy. "And since this is my first baby, it
>was all new to me too."
>        The solution for Amy was the personalized support and
>coaching she received from lactation consultant Arly Helm. Like each
>new mom, Amy first met with the lactation consultant while she was still
>in the hospital. Arly helped Amy not only learn to breastfeed her baby,
>but also to use an electric breast pump.
>        "What really impressed me was the follow-up care," said Amy.
>"The day after I came home, Arly called me and answered all my
>questions. Since then, I have been able to call her anytime for additional
>consultations. This has been an invaluable resource."
>
>        Just as each mom and baby is unique, so is their
>breastfeeding experience.  As a lactation consultant at Logan
>Regional Hospital and the Budge Clinic, I have the opportunity to
>work with mothers on a one-to-one, personalized basis.
>        All the doctors I and the other lactation consultants
>work with have as their goal the best possible health of both
>baby and mother.  And so do the nurses. We work together to
>find breastfeeding solutions, to come up with plans that will
>support the patient#s health in the long run, while avoiding
>problems in the short run.
>        I serve as a resource to physicians, nurses,
>administrators, other lactation consultants, and families.  I
>educate.  I advocate. I support.
>        As an IHC team, we are committed to providing quality
>care for our patients. We provide a range of breastfeeding
>support services#free telephone consultations, low-cost
>hospital visitations and outpatient consultations.
>        Research shows that babies begin life with a healthier
>start with breastfeeding#and so do their moms.  IHC knows this,
>and that is why they provide a corporate breastfeeding project
>team, as well as employing lactation consultants at the hospital
>and physician offices. It#s not just professional pride that makes
>us want to offer the best breastfeeding support medical science
>has to offer, it#s caring about quality of life.
>        A lactation consultant can be reached at Logan Regional
>Hospital, 750-5376, or Budge Clinic, 752-0422.

Arly Helm               [log in to unmask]
MS, Nutrition & Food Science, CLE, IBCLC