Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:43:58 +0200
>I'm going to have to disagree with this comparison, on pretty strong terms.
>  To me, an unasked-for sexual proposition is inherently violent, and I think
>it would be to many women.  It isn't about "choosing to be offended." It is
>a threat, sent from a more powerful person to the less powerful.

Totally agree. It's a crossing of personal boundaries which makes
people (women) feel deeply uncomfortable *because* we live in a
culture where men are more powerful and can take it upon themselves
to transgress boundaries, often with impunity. It's not the sight of
a human body or body part that's offensive - it's this transgression.
Men have been known to be violent towards women who reject or ignore
their sexual 'invitations' and it is this knowledge that makes the
transgression scary.

Yuk.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK