From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:16:52 -0600
First, my thanks to those who have discussed the Ezzos on Lactnet as I
would have been totally clueless when my brother asked me my opinion of the
Ezzo's style of christian parenting and their Babywise book.  It seems that
these classes are offered at their very large Baptist church in South
Houston.

Their new baby (their first) is now four days old, 9# 10oz birth weight, of
course he's breastfed.  Well, big brother (12 years older than me) calls me
with a few questions that made a lot more sense to me when he told me he
and his wife had attended these classes.  He says all of these parents in
their church swear by this parenting method.  Here are the concerns he
asked my advice on:

1.  "The Babywise book says nurse the baby every three hours but the baby
is real unhappy if we make him wait that long."  His wife thinks they
should just nurse on demand whenever the baby is hungry.  What should we
do?

2.  "The baby seems a lot happier when we hold him a lot but the Babywise
book advises against it.  What should we do?"

3.  "We are exhausted and the baby doesn't like sleeping in his bassinette.
 We have plate glass windows in the room and I'm worried he's getting cold
in the bassinette."  He's worried about putting the baby in the bed becuase
of their two dachsunds that share the bed with them.  He's also worried
that they'll never get the baby out of their bed (though they're not too
worried about their dogs-arghhh!!) What should we do?

My advice-

1.  Burn the Babywise book.  Follow your instincts and your heart, not what
some stranger tells you in a book.

2.  Feed the baby when he's hungry.

3.  Sleep with the baby so everyone can rest.  Hold him as much as he needs
to be held.  He's warm, secure, and happy there, just like the dogs are!

Again, thanks for educating me about the Ezzos so I could respond to his
questions with somewhat intelligent answers.  I understand my brother's
desire for learning parenting with a christian focus, but the parenting
advice isn't healthy, IMNSHO.  Is there anything on the web that talks
about how horrible this example of parenting is?  Please point me and my
web browser in the right direction.

TIA

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr