Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:59:59 -0500
> I have searched all my material and both old and new archives. When a
>baby sucks in her lower lip everything and everybody says gently pull it
>out. What happens if you break the suction evry time you try to do that?
>Baby is two weeks old, two ounces over birth weight. Up several ounces
>from lowest weight.

Have you checked the frenulum?  I worked with a baby last week who sounds
similar, and when I checked, the frenulum was very tight.  Mom said that
she had been told by the LC at the hospital that he was tongue tied, but
they couldn't find anyone to snip it.  When she asked the Ped, he said that
tongue tie doesn't interfere with breastfeeding.

We called around and found an OB who said, "Come on in to the office
whenever you can.  It takes only about 20 seconds and there will be no
charge." (His wife is an LC.)

As usual, all was well quite soon.

Interestingly, mom's nipples weren't sore. Most of the cases of tight
frenulum that I see are accompanied by sore nipples. Oh the variety that we
see!

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]