From:
Jenni James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:21:47 +1000
Betty says....
> I was wondering if anyone could give me  some advice on how to
> approach the mom who has a perceived low milk supply.  Over the past
> year and a half that I have been counseling moms I have come across
> several moms who have thriving infants (adequate growth on the charts
> with plenty of diapers) who still feel that they can not satisfy
> their babies, who appear to be fussy to them after feeds and when
> they intervene with ABM via bottle their babies are quieter and go
> longer between feeds......

Dear Betty & all
I am replying to the list because I think this is a topic we all have
experience with, all feel the same frustrations and all grrrrrrrr the same
when we come across it. Having said that, I think this is a  vital issue
that should be discussed by us all. After reading your note today I opened
about 20 completed questionnaires which are part of my study. 2 of these
were 2nd questionnaires (babe around 3 months) both were 2nd time mums who
fed no.1 for very short time. The following typifies what I am hearing:
"she wasn't getting enough milk and was always still hungry" weaned at 1
month - weight gains ok
and  "My first child was breastfed for 3 weeks until I couldn't stand the
crying anymore. As soon as this baby became unsettled (not sleeping) he
went on the bottle. He immediately settled and sleeps 12 hrs at night" -
weaned at 8 weeks. again weight gains ok. Arggggggh

While I believe in the importance of the technical stuff that we know and
do, aren't we ( the all embracing 'we') failing, because to me (and I am
sure all of you) this is very basic stuff and this cry is heard over and
over again. Doesn't it come down to the fact that these women are going
into motherhood with no idea of what its all about, don't get the basic
education ante or postnatally, struggle with an unknown entity, and 'fail'
with breastfeeding then go on to 'fail' with the next? either that or the
next one knows what to do, so things just go right? without mum really
understanding why? woe betide the 3rd that doesnt know!

Sorry to ramble - I get so very disheartened when I do the exit
questionnaires with these mums. I spent 30 minutes talking to a primip last
night who weaned at 6 weeks because she just didn't have enough milk for
her baby?????  on questioning, the baby had a tongue tie - eventually
diagnosed (mum was tongue tied too)  mum felt it wasn't right to snip
because 'she talks ok", baby never put on much weight, took quite awhile to
regain birthweight - baby just didn't get on well enough to milk the breast
effectively.

So I ask you all. with all the work we are doing, what are we doing wrong?
why isn't it working??????? what arent we doing??? over to you

warm regards
jenni
RN RM IBCLC in private practice and mother to Daniel, Alicia, Michael,
Ashley, Leighton & Kathryn
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on!"