From:
Angela Hartfelder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:14:42 -0500
Hello,

I am a newly credentialed IBCLC. I work in a somewhat isolated metro with a population of around 200,000. (I say somewhat isolated because we are a good 4 hours from the nearest other metropolis.) Up until October (YAY!) we have only had two IBCLC's in the area, one at each hospital. (And bless them because they are busy!) Anyway, I work at a large teaching institution (an HSC) that serves as primary care pediatrics for mostly indigent population. I have been lurking on the list for quite a while and I have to say that it is insightful and very helpful.

I am coming out of lurkdom to ask for experiences in implementing a breastfeeding clinic into a large outpatient institution. We would love to establish one here and integrate it into the pediatric department, but I don't even know where to begin with a written proposal and plan to do so. I would love to hear how other people have done this and how other clinics run in the context of a large (hopefully teaching) institution, and other clincis models of care. Or even how you work the IBCLC into the regular care they receive in a large teaching facility. Breastfeeding care here is generally minimal- what you would expect to receive at most any pediatrics office. But I (with the support of the institution) would like to implement regular breastfeeding care into the system, and hopefully establish a breastfeeding clinic.

Please feel free to email me off list. I am eager to hear all suggestions (from anywhere!) and how others worked up their proposals.

Thanks!
Angela Hartfelder, IBCLC, RLC