From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:18:40 -0800
Or have them write to the supervisor/manager of the unit.

I just had the most unusual reprimand.

It seems a mother I had worked with re breast feeding, whose infant wouldn't/couldn't nurse at first, was able eventually with a lot of patience and teaching and tricks and waiting, to start nursing successfully at about 72 hours,  still in the hospital -- but had to give supplements by bottle in the mean time, as we still have no back-up protocols in place.

She had heard and read about cupfeeding and SNS from friends and relatives,
and wondered why we didn't teach her/allow her to use any of these.  I suggested she write my boss.  She did, asking her the same things. She also stated that she had the care of one very breast-feeding educated and dedicated staff nurse (guess who),  and she was dismayed that most of the other nurses did not come up to that standard.

My boss came to me to say that I set up false expectations in my patients
regarding the amount of expertise and time a nurse can spend with them, and
I should warn them that they will not get the same care from many of my co-workers, not because those nurses are "incompetent," but because of my additional interest, certification and practice, which exceed the norm.  She also stated that having someone who is also an  LC as  one's nurse in postpartum is not the community standard (*YET" (my shout)), and I should not expect this from my peers.

Finally, I was reprimanded for teaching my patients about the alternative
 methods of supplementation that could be available to them after they left
 the hospital, because not even all the home health nurses who visit our
 patients the following day are able to teach or follow up on these methods.

SCREAM!  SCREAM!  SCREAM!

Chanita