From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:23:03 -0500
I would like to hear how others see this issue and what they would do/have
done about this restriction.  I have posted recently about a problem I ran
into with an NP in our affiliated hospital whose husband is neonatologist
with a lot of power.  As it turns out, the neo is the dept. director under
whom the medical director for our nursery works.  Why does it have to happen
that way...?  Arrrgggghhh.  Anyway, I just got this note from our medical
director:

>>In talking with our medical director he has asked me to relay that they do
not want people sent home with S S ((meaning...well, you know)) system  he
wishes them to just use it as a adjunct while they are here in the hospital.
the same for finger feeding and cup feeding.
Thanks<<

What this means, in effect, is that if we can't get baby to breast before
they send it home without this help, they want it sent home on the bottle.
This medical director, BTW, is rarely in our facility.  He's in the
affiliated hospital, almost all the time.  The Ped who does work here in the
nursery doesn't have a problem with anything I've done.  However, she works
under the Medical Director and will not go against him.  I'm sure I'm not
the first to run into this.  How have others handled this, just bide my time
until they become comfortable with me before trying to make any changes?
Now that I finally have a position to do this full-time, I don't want to
risk losing it by making too many waves.  So what is the collective wisdom?
TIA

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.
                                John S. C. Abbot