From:
Rachel e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:04:21 +0200
For those who recall this mother who had skinless areas on both nipples, a raging mastitis one week post partum and a failed BF experience with first baby:
She used limpet shells constantly to keep dimples everted, and applied anhydrous lanolin to the area several times daily.  Pain disappeared rapidly, but skin still lacking at one month.  Baby thriving and mother cautiously optimistic about BF.  I last saw her about 6 weeks post partum and skin was starting to cover the raw areas.
She just phoned me to say that her breasts are in her own words "Perfect!".  Baby is fully BF, and she stopped using lanolin two weeks ago but continued with the shells.  A few days ago she grew tired of the constant leaking and has now retired the shells as well.  Her skin is intact over the entire nipple, and although one still has a tendency to invert in the dimple between feeds, it is no problem during feeds.  She is very pleased, and so am I!
Thanks again to those of you who sent me private e-mails on this case.
Rachel Myr