Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:30:27 EDT
With Joan's permission:

Dear Margaret,

I am responding to your post, on the LACTNET listserv, which was forwarded to
me by Dr. Nancy Wight.  I hope you do not mind me contacting you directly.  I
am sure that it seems odd to you that I am presenting a "formula talk."  My
talk is actually "DHA and ARA in the Infant's Diet" not "DHA and ARA in Infant
Formula."  I have given a similar presentation at grand rounds presentations
for physicians, at several conferences for dietitians, and at nursing
conferences.  I have also given this presentation for lactation consultants.  I discuss
DHA in the lactating mother's diet, and I discuss the biochemistry of fatty
acids in breast milk and what we know about DHA in the breastfed baby's diet.
The last part of the talk does discuss the issue of DHA in the formula fed
baby's diet.

I have a background in nutrition and have been a registered dietitian for 24
years.  While I am a very strong breastfeeding advocate and teach and lecture
extensively on breastfeeding, part of my professional role includes education
for physicians, residents, medical students, nurses, dietitians, and other
allied health professionals on infant formula, as well.  Formula use is a reality
in our society, and there are differences between term formula, premature
formula, specialty formulas, as well as differences in the nutrient composition
of those formulas.

While I believe breast milk is best for every baby, every baby in our society
is not exclusively breastfed, and too many are never breastfed.  I agree that
formula marketing is a problem in this country.  This talk is for educational
purposes for health care professionals.  The presentation I give is very "pro
breastfeeding"  and has been attended by IBCLCs, as well as by physician
members of the AAP Section on Breastfeeding and the Academy of Breastfeeding
Medicine, with positive feedback.  I am not promoting the use of formula; I am
educating health professionals about DHA, and what we currently know about DHA for
the breastfed baby and for the formula fed baby.  This talk has been set up
by Mead Johnson, however, the formula company does not provide input as to the
content of my presentation.

I hope you will feel comfortable attending, if you wish.  Please e-mail me if
you have any additional questions which I can address.

Sincerely,

Joan Meek

Joan Y. Meek, MD, MS, RD, FAAP, IBCLC
Director, General Academic Pediatrics
Orlando Regional Healthcare
Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children & Women
89 W. Copeland
Orlando, FL  32806-2028
321-841-6046
FAX 407-843-8505

Nancy E. Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Neonatologist, Children's Hospital & Sharp Mary Birch Hospital For Women
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services
San Diego, California, USA