From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 23:23:50 -0500
Hi All,
    I have read the posts on discreet nursing and agree with so many of
the conclusions. Kym's dad made a comment similar to my DH's "If my
wife's breastfeeding offends you, then don't look!" The letters from the
people who wrote in after a woman called breastfeeding in church
'disgusting' were beautiful. I agree many forgot that breastfeeding is a
God given function of our bodies. When I was very nicely and in private
commented on the breastfeeding by a Chaplain, I solved my problem by
leaving that church, as I have done with another when my toddlers
refused to go to their 'lovely' nursery, but being toddlers were not
able to stay still for the entire hour. Babies and children are our
future and a vital part of our society - if we can not tolerate them in
the house of God, where will they ever be tolerated?
    An update on my mom diagnosed with breast cancer. She has had a
mastectomy and has weaned her baby. I made a big oops in my original
post as it was 4-6 weeks (not months) until chemo begins, which is this
week. Right now physically she is doing well, but very depressed about
her future and that she has traumatized her baby. Luckily for her, the
RN working with her is excellent and very compassionate, which is what
this mom needs.
    Yeah Dr. Jack - you are one of the few doctors I've heard say he
didn't deliver the baby. Other than my first where I was strapped and
flat and drugged to a no pain threshold, the other 2 doctors, 1 midwife
and 1 nurse, simply put on sterile baseball gloves and caught a baby,
neither mom nor baby was making any attempt to slow the arrival.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"Never sit while your seniors stand." Cree proverb