From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:12:38 -0800
Ann,
Are you sure there was no breast surgury in the past
such as breast reduction etc?

In another thought, I recently had a young (17 year
old) mom that had somewhat similar breasts/nipples, no
past surgery and unable to express or pump anything
although her breasts felt moderately engorged.  She
was of African American descent.  We tried reverse
pressure softening on the nipple but still no flow.  I
was unable to express or pump for her also.  Her
mother was able to manually express her through using
a small basin of warm water with daughter's breast
hanging over it and gently massaging and gently
twisting the breast clockwise and counterclockwise
with 2 hands repeatedly.  No nipple pressure.  The
flow was a good stream and the relief this gave her
daughter was noticeable.  And her breast softened
considerably.  We were unable to harvest the milk
however because of soaking and massaging while in the
small basin.  I wonder to this day if maybe she was
"wired" slightly different.  Her nipples were tough
and did exactly the same as your description.  Jean
Cotterman(sp) seems to know the wiring of breasts well
and maybe would have some insight as to the "wiring"
possibilities.

Jean are you out there?

Anecdotely, her baby was also 34 weeks and still in
the hospital.  I dont know if after her manual
expression she was able to then pump or manually
express using any other technique.  We are in Germany
and she was visiting from another base and was going
to where the baby was (1.5 hours away) in the morning
and remain there and followup with their LC.

Theresa Johnson RN BSN IBCLC
Heidelberg Germany