From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 06:29:24 -0500
with Medela and Hygeia Reps today....should be an interesting day, LOL.

On another note: as part of my weekly breastfeeding presentation to
prenatal moms on WIC I always include a discussion on "skin to skin",
stating that skin is the largest organ and very responsive to touch and
caressing. That their baby's brain grows with touching of the skin and
that if they do choose to use formula or pump breastmilk not to miss
out on the skin to skin part.  I relate the study with the baby's
from the orphanage
that were fed formula in two groups: one with a wire caretaker and no
interaction/touch
and the other with a human caretaker and how the ones that were not
touched
had failure to thrive in even died, while the other group grew well.
I think (hope)
it makes some impact.  I feel it is valuable content even though it is a
class on breastfeeding.  I even go so far to say that the IQ point
difference MAY
not be from the milk alone but also from the mothering (touch/
attention) received.
I fess up and tell them that is just a supposition on my part and has
not been studied.
Above and beyond the breastfeeding I feel that this whole touch,
connection, interaction has not
been promoted enough or well and is so vital to the dyad.

See I'm being brave and posting again!

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC/RLC
Clinical Director Mothers' Milk Bank of New England
Gentle Beginnings Lactation Assistance