From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 14:39:31 -0500
Our hospital is about the same size as yours -- 1000 births per year.  We do not
advertise our outpatient services as I think we should.  We only have a
home-made type brochure that we give inpatients and breastfeeding class parents
(primarily the same group).  We see about 10 to 15+ outpatients per week.  You
are welcome to call me at the office and I can be much more specific regarding
the numbers per week, type of outpatient, and time needed to handle the patient.

I feel that there is a large pent-up need for outpatient lactation services.
Patients do not know about the services when they are in need.  Physicians do
not understand the service or how to use it.  Much, much marketing and education
needs to be done, at least around here.  I often see mothers who are coming
through the lactation center with child 2+ who comment that there wasn't any
such help with the previous child.  Since I have been providing the service for
a number of years, I know that there was the service.  It was just kept a
secret.

Do feel free to call me at the office (704) 543-2239 or 2241 and I will give you
as much information as you want about our service.  I'll even throw in some
opinion!!

Another thought is that if the nurses are handling the inpatients, you may see a
large number of outpatients due to inpatient management.  It will be imperative
that the nursing staff promote your outpatient services at every opportunity and
then some.  It will also be necessary that you never, ever suggest to a patient
or other nursing staff member that the info given in the hospital was a bunch of
[log in to unmask]  Doing that may require a delicate dance.

When you have worked out your marketing strategy and materials, please share
with me.  I see the potential for outpatient lactation services to do very well
if the marketing is appropriate.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC
Charlotte, NC   [log in to unmask]
Mercy Lactation Support Center