Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:31:12 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
"logically I would anticipate no difference in a mother's hormone levels (prolactin and oxytocin) if she is pumping all her baby's needs, or exclusively breastfeeding - it is only the method of drainage and delivery which is different"

But the timing of these hormones would be quite different, wouldn't they?
I find myself EXTREMELY aggitated when baby is fussing and asking to be fed - so for the minute or two that it takes to finish what I was doing, get a water bottle, get comfortable in a chair, etc. I often find myself irritated by all other family, TV, noises, etc.   Then minutes later, after settled in and MER occurs, I am totally at peace with the world, and then quite sleepy.

So with direct bfing, these emotions are totally in-line with my baby's needs:  First total attention to baby and pushing away everything else, then sleepiness to entice me to nurse long and leisurely.

I can't imagine how this would all be jumbled when letting down for a pump.  I would think moms would probably end up pumping while baby is either happy or sleepy, so they would not be interrupted.  And she'd probably force herself to get back to chores after pumping rather than having a nap. After baby signals to be fed, Mom would still be left in the alert and aggitated phase after feeding bottle?  Baby would then be sleeping and she'd get back to doing chores etc.  When would she rest?

Janice Reynolds
Consumer Representative, Breastfeeding Committee for Canada

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2