Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:27:51 +0100
Sherry writes:

" A mom/baby I'm currently helping to gain wt told me last night that her
ped said that if she didn't use some formula with the breastmilk, she would
have to give baby vitamins because there are 3 vitamins not in breastmilk.
Ped did not name these.  I found info on Vit D and Iron in the archives.
It is my understanding that everything the baby needs is in breastmilk.
What is the doc talking about? "

I think he probably has the wrong idea about Vitamin K, too, and the
Vitamin D and iron story may complete the picture of 'three vitamins
missing'.

What tosh : (

It is disgraceful, isn't it, that someone who is supposedly trained and
paid to care for the health of babies  should be so tragically misinformed
- and I mean tragically literally.

Maybe this mother could get the doctor to write down the details of what he
has told her, together with his references of course - though it is sad for
mothers to have to fight these sorts of battles.

"Interestingly, this ped also told mom that it wasn't FAIR to her or the
baby to nurse longer that 10 min on each breast or more often than every
3-4 hours. "

That sounds like a Babywise sorta thing....'.fairness'  is a not a
nutritional concept, anyway.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne