From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:32:00 GMT
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]> writes:

... And, am I correct when I say that I heard you say that boiling with plain water
>does NOT kill Hepatitis B/?
>
>I'm not sure if this is the case or not. The statement quoted from one of
our Medical Adivsers points out that Hep B is 'extremely hard to destroy',
but does not mention by which methods. I suppose that even if boiling did
kill Hep B 100% of the time, we would still have to be very careful about
cleaning the equipment adequately prior to boiling, and make sure the
boiling was done correctly (eg all pieces completely submerged, full 20 mins
etc). I assume NMAA felt that it was just not worth taking the risk. As
they are a voluntary organisation with 'shoestring' funding, one legal
battle would destroy them, and would ruin the credibility of NMAA within
Australia.