Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:23:39 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
My friend saw the local GP/Ob the other day who suggests that she should look at weaning her 10 month old son because 1. it is easier before they turn one, 2. no nutritional value in her BM, 3. her bm isn't giving him enough iron and with him not eating he should be on formula and being force fed! He said that she should give him a dummy because he is *obviously* using her as a dummy. He also suggested that her husband get up to baby at night (even though he is working virtually around the clock with baling hay) and feed the baby water from a cup...he is being very strict about enforcing scheduled feeding times...

I am sick with anger over the stupidity of this doctor. Fortunately this woman is very intelligent and asked what his plan B was. He suggested that she give him an iron supplement. I have seen this boy eat, even over this fussy stages, he eats strawberries and other fruit so isn't going starving. He is teething and been a bit sick with a URTI and on OAB's for 3/7. In my opinion unnecessarily. So given this I am sure it is just a phase he is going through and am sure that he will enjoy foods again before much longer. 

Does anyone have any literature, handouts, pamphlets etc that I could pass onto the woman (and perhaps the doctor?) which would be appropriate to give to her?  I have spoken to her at length about all these issues and how unevidenced based the doctors suggestions are. However, I feel that I need more to give her so that she is convinced. After all, I'm not a doctor am I!!!??

Thanks in advance for replies on and off list.

Blessings,
Rachael
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GentleBirth Pregnancy and Birth Education
Rachael Austin
Independent Midwife and Childbirth Educator
Ph: (07) 49 931 213
Fax: (07) 49 931 341
Mob: 0419750 780
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.gentlebirth.com.au

"Let us support one another, not just in philosophy but in action, for the sake of freedom for all women to choose exactly how and by whom, if by anyone, our bodies will be handled."  Linda Hessel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2