From:
"Kim A. Campbell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:57:26 EDT
No - I am not talking about dancing... although - I bet we would all have a lot
of fun line dancing another time....

I am talking about PROGRESS - or whatever -
I am on a midwifery list and was disturbed to read  the following from a
midwife out there somewhere - she is talking about the Delivery Self Attachment
Video and educating her clients re breastfeeding:

"  I'm glad that you finally have a name so that you and others can
get it.  It's great video.   I always show it along with two other
breastfeeding tapes:   a Mead-Johnson tape that actually does a good job on
breastfeeding (only this section-not the bottle part!) and a Medela tape with
Chele Marmet..."

I have responded directly to the author (who I am sure is a caring wonderful
midwife) by asking her to reconsider using a teaching aid developed by a formula
company  who will gain nothing  from (yes - I can say "conflict of interst")
their teaching aid being succussful.  I have not seen this video -  I asked her
to find a breastfeeding expert in her community who was familiar with the WHO
code to view and give comments on the content and the advertising intent of the
video.  Has anyone out there seen the video she mentions??? Does the  WHO code
ask corporations who produce ABM not to be in the business of educating women
about breastfeeding?   I don't have my references at home - but I know somewhere
out there you guys know it ALL.  I would like to go out onto the midwifery forum
and discuss this issue - but feel less than fully prepared without the ammo.   I
am not going back to work until after the long weekend - September 7th - so look
forward to some incoming.   Many thanks - two more steps forward - and a wiggle
:-)   ,    Kim

"The newborn baby has only three demands.  They are warmth in the arms of its
mother, food from her breasts and security in the knowledge of her presence.
Breastfeeding satisfies all three."
Dr. Grantly Dick-Reid.