From:
Rachael Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:14:12 -0400
Hello all.  I switched email so I've been gone a bit.

I am writing because a woman I know has giardia and Flagyl is controversial
when breastfeeding a baby who does not have the parasites. I read from The
Breastfeeding Answer Book that 40% of the newborn dose of Flagyl ends up in
the milk. The mom is uncomfortable with this. So, I also have seen a number
of parasite-ridding natural remedies but they all seem to have black walnut
in them, which is also not advised for breastfeeding moms according to The
Ultimate Healing System. I have also read about garlic, damiana, and senna
but I cannot find references for amounts. I have suggested that she see a
homeopath. I searched the archives already for this information.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get rid of giardia in a nursing mom?

Baby is 18 months old, eats very little solids, (couldn't swallow food until
she was 14 months), nurses every 3 hours or so around the clock. Mom would
rather live with giardia than wean her daughter even for 24 hours. (And she
told her dr that!)

Rachael Barlow
still working on credentials