Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:59:34 EDT
Rachel  writes:

"I have just  skimmed the full article of which Heather saw the abstract, in
which the  authors identified breastfeeding more than six times daily in the
second half  of the first year of life, or cow's milk feeding, as risk factors
for anemia  according to the WHO criteria.

In other  words, the guarantor for the content of the paper as well as the
first named  author are people who have received speaker's fees from a formula
manufacturer, and the formula manufacturer funded the data analysis for this
paper.  Don't know how many grains of salt that translates to,  in
understanding the results."

~~ If in fact children over six months who are breastfeeding more than 6
times a day are more at risk for anemia, it would more likely be due to  lack of
adequate complemetary foods being offered, rather than continued
breastfeeding. I wonder, if this study was actually well-done,  if they  looked at this
aspect of the issue. Then again there is a big reason for the  study, thus
funded, to come to the conclusion it came to, the one that makes  money for the
funders. As for how many grains of salt to take it with, I would  guess a lot
since its affect on my has been to raise my blood  pressure...:)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA