From:
Esther Oppliger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:13:36 -0600
Dr. Newman and others,

I am so glad to hear that hispanic women in your area are having great
breastfeeding experiences.  That's the kind of information I'm trying to
discover by my post to Lactnet.  But please tell me what it is then that
causes the differences and where this happens.  If these supplementing
issues, etc. are things I am seeing in my local area, then do they come from
the local influences?  I know that there are sometimes some very tight knit
community involvements, but many times the mothers are really very isolated
and newly immigrated to our town.  I'm very open and happy to get feedback.
I think the best approach I can use now is to inlist peer support workers
and help them establish really good rapport.  I myself am not hispanic and
do not speak Spanish.

Esther Oppliger, ARNP, IBCLC
Garden City, Kansas