From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 07:45:54 -0700
> Isn't this what they're starting to find for other procedures as well (like
> circs) - that infants tolerate them better having just colostrum fed,
> rather than being given sugar boluses?

*STARTING* to find out? I always told my parent classes to become Jewish
for the day if they wanted to circumcise their boy, because then the
baby would be given sweet wine prior to the procedure. The traditional
bris as I have seen it practiced, has the godfather *hold* the baby
during the procedure (right there is a huge improvement over being tied
down) and given a handkerchief soaked in sweet wine to suck on before
and during the circ. Afterwards, mom is waiting with fresh, even sweeter
milk. The sweetness probably invoked this hypoalgesia and the alcohol
probably didn't hurt either. Very civilized, if you ask me.

Katharine West, BSN, MPH
Sherman Oaks, CA