From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2019 22:34:02 -0600
It can be difficult to determine the source of an infection, especially if
a biofilm is involved. If the organism is not being actively shed into the
milk, but is instead mostly adhered to the ductal tiissue, then it may not
show up in a standard milk culture or perhaps in very small numbers that
may not signal an infection to a physician. We now know that human milk is
not normally devoid of all microorganisms, but develops its own microbiome.
Just as in other parts of the body, that microbiome may be very healthy or
it may be skewed more towards less beneficial or even pathogenic species.

Sharon Knorr, BSMT(ASCP), BfUSA counselor
Colorado, USA