From:
Susan Z Condon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 01:34:06 -0400
Hello everyone.  Let me quote directly from the 1996 Abbott Annual Report
on their new ABM.  I hope this will answer some of your questions.  Me?
I'm disgusted about the whole thing and all the unscrupulous marketing
practices of the ABM manufacturers.

"In 1996, Abbott's R&D focus was most clearly illustrated with the launch
of Similac Advance in Canada, Italy, Spain and Latin America.  This
improved infant formula is the result of a long-term program to bring
infant formula closer to the effects of breast milk.  Similac Advance is
the only infant formula with added nucleotide levels and ratios patterned
after the total potentially available nucleotides from breast milk.
Nucleotides are compounds that are found in most living cells and in breast
milk.  Similac Advance also contains a unique blend of fats and proteins.
The formula supports visual and cognitive development similar to that of
the breast-fed infant. Abbott has been test marketing this improved
formulation in the US since mid-1996, and a national launch is planned for
the first half of 1997."

"Abbott's traditionally close relationship with pediatricians and other
health care providers serves as the foundation for the company's solid
market position in the US.  Pediatricians are also key to the success of
consumer education programs, such as the Welcome Addition Club.  The
Welcome Addition Club is a program that provides new and expectant parents
with a broad range of information, from nutrition and breast-feeding tips
to basic parenting skills."

There's nothing in their report about the R&D studies but net sales for
Abbott  in 1996 came to $11,013,500,000 with pharmaceutical and nutritional
products being $6,307,000,000--a whopping 53% of the total!  You can voice
your concerns to:  Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park,
IL  60064-3500  phone 847-937-6100 or try their web site att www.abbott.com

Since studies were done in Canada, maybe Dr. Jack may know something?

Susan Condon, San Francisco