From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 23:30:36 -0600
Comments in response to several posts the last couple of days.

Re: Pumping in school.
You might check with Hollister since they have a corporate pump rental
program with a lot of information about the benefits to employers who
support breastfeeding in this way. Medela probably has one also.

Re: Starting premies on oral feeds with red nipples.
Not here we don't.   (Level 3 NICU with 35 beds) Babies receiving breast
milk are started on skin to skin early (even on vents if they are stable)
and when the baby is ready to graduate from gavage feeds, the first oral
feed is a breast feeding, as well as every other oral feed for at least a
week if the mother is available.  If we start bottles, we use regular
nipples (no premie nipples)

Re: Keeping babies warm.
Even our tiny premies stay warm if they have a hat on, and are put skin to
skin between the mother's breasts and both are covered with a warm blanket
or snuggly.

Re: Use of dilute NaHCO3 solution to swab mouth with thrush.
I would use caution, particularly if the baby is premature,  when putting
bicarb in the baby's mouth or on nipples because of the potential for
interfering with the baby's sodium balance and the potential for creating a
metabolic alkalosis.  We had a premie get into trouble on these two issues
and we nearly tore our hair trying to figure out what her problem was until
we discovered the mother had been swabbing her nipples with bicarbonate of
soda which was not washed off prior to nursing.

Re: Breastfeeding after a C/section:  We encourage our mothers as part of
our prenatal breastfeeding class to breastfeed before their epidural wears
off if they have to have a cesarean.   They are having no post op pain, and
if the baby is in good condition, breastfeeding usually goes at least as
well as it does following epidurals for vaginal births.

Enjoying the discussions.  Thanks all for your great insights and comments
Deanne