From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:04:45 -0600
<Date:    Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:18:44 EST

From:    [log in to unmask]

Subject: "Solar pasteurization"

Bacteria and viruses thrive in the human body at 98.6F/37 C.  Why would
heating in the sun "pasteurize" anything?

Nancy

Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM, FAAP

Neonatologist, Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Children's Hospital
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services San Diego, CA

Nancy,

From what I understand from helping my son with his research, as water heats
in a solar cooker, temperatures of 56 C and above start killing
disease-causing microbes.  Heating water to 66 C will kill all
disease-causing microbes.  Some heat resistant spores can remain but
according to the research these spores do not cause disease in humans but
they can cause milk to spoil so pasteurized milk must be kept refrigerated.
Milk can be pasteurized at 71.7 C (161 F) for only 15 seconds or at 62.8 C
(145 F) for 30 minutes.  I didn't check HMBANA to see if these are their
guidelines as well.  Not having to heat water to 100 C is a very important
consideration in the third world where there may be little or no resources
for boiling water.  Even though the water is not free of all impurities it
is safe to drink.  They estimate that 2 million children die of diarrheal
diseases resulting from contaminated water each year and another 900 million
episodes of illness occur.  Even if the sun's energy is not used to heat the
water, it requires far less other fuel sources to heat water to
pasteurization temperatures.

Linda Anderegg, RNC, IBCLC, RLC in Chicago, where it has warmed up enough to
be snowing and blowing tonight