From:
Mlevittrn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 23:40:38 EST
Many years ago (when I was pregnant with my daughter who is now 18), I was
part of a group of nurses whom parents could hire privately to take care of
mom and baby in first 4 hours so they could stay together (in a local hospital
where they were routinely separated at that time).  We attended the deliveries
and immediately put babies skin-to-skin with mom, covering both with pre-
warmed blankets.  We kept records, and found that the only babies that got
cold were the ones that had to go to the warmer initially (for oxygen,
stimulation, etc.)  One of the nurses wrote an article on this in MCN.

In the hospital where I work now, babies are never taken to the nursery unless
there is a medical indication.  They are with mom from the beginning, in del.
room and then to postpartum room.  A warmer is kept in the room for the first
few hours in case it is needed, but in most cases babies can stay warm skin-
to-skin.  And, as someone said, it is usually the bath that cools the babies
off.  Miriam