From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:18:27 -0400
To : Ellen
Re : Thyroid Scan

Have your patient check with the radiologist and see if they can use I-123
instead of I-131.  It is actually better as a thyroid scan and the mom would
only breifly, if at all, need to discontinue breastfeeding.

Check my WEB page for the radioisotope table from the Nuclear Regulatory
Commission.  It provides good recommendations for radiologists in
breastfeeding moms.

Regardless, PTU, and Methimazole are both useful for treating
hyperthyroidism as long as there are no thyroid carcinomas.

Regards

Tom Hale, Ph.D.