Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:32:49 +0000
Pierrette Mimi Poinsett said:

> This is probably one of the biggest pet peeve I have had with LLL groups...

I would like Lactnetters to know that the MD who described her visit
from LLL Leaders while on bedrest forgot to mention that these Leaders,
whom I know personally, (they are not on Lactnet, fortunately) also, in
addition to offering support, encouragement and printed material,  MADE
LUNCH, EMPTIED THE DISHWASHER, AND WENT GROCERY SHOPPING for this
mother.  They also welcomed her to attend local meetings, which seems
like clear evidence that meetings ARE open to all interested mothers,
even Africian-Americian, bilingual  ones!

As regards to the colleague (with a BS in Health Education, who quit
breastfeeding after one week, presumably because no Leader would help
her?)  it is not uncommon, unfortunately, for LLL to be "blamed" when a
mother quits breastfeeding.  In my opinion, this is QUITE unfair,
especially considering the fact that Leaders are all volunteers, placing
"family first."  Seems to me that this home visit was made in the most
generous spirit of caring and compassion.
Too bad it was not interpretted as such...

 Sue Jacoby, IBCLC
Central California