From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:00:20 -0500
>I am disturbed to read in the paper today that the AAP is recommending
>ALL infants be vaccinated against rotoviruses.  Dr. Neal A. Halsey of the
>AAP and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated, " In order to
>protect against the large number of children who need to be hospitalized,
>we need to give the   vaccine to everybody."  It is recommended at ages
>2,4 and 6 months.
>
>I am concerned about the blanket approach, the absence of mention of
>breastfeeding as the first and best immunization baby can have, and the
>effect of multiple assaults on newborns through the growing number of
>procedures and immunizations being given at birth and in the early months
>since these things carry their own risk and may not be the only approach
>to the health issues.

Adele -

One of the nice things that came out of the "National Breastfeeding Policy
Conference" in Washington last month was an assurance by the Centers for
Disease Control representative there that he'll push for CDC statements to
include references to breastfeeding as the first line of defense in various
illnesses, and for those references to be woven into their pronouncements
on immunizations.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY