Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
"P. A. Bucknell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    I am posting for a LC friend without internet access. She has a patient
asking about this product. 
  <...>
  Of course the question is--can the patient BF while taking this product? 
What do you all think?

Dear friends,

As a side note I'd say the question is not ''can the mother breastfeed while taking this med?'', but rather ''can the mother take this med while breastfeeding?''
  I do not know the answer, because I do not know the med. What I would want to know to decide pro or con is: what is the stuff used for (what is the intended effect)? what are reported unintended effects? Will any of the intended or unintended effects affect the baby in terms of mother's capability to mother, or of mother's milksupply or of the med coming into the milk.
  Well, it is meant for weight loss. We do not want that in a baby. Does it come in the milk and will it work through milk as it does directly? How does it work on weight loss? Is it a gut-work enhancer (just can't think of the right way to put this into English, sorry), that would be OK for both mom and baby, but is it an appetite decreaser it might be working as an amphetamin and I wouldn't have that come into a baby. 
  A quick google search got me a long list of hits, including : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodia#Medicinal_uses which gives a nice oerview of what's known (little) and not know on this med.
  It turns out to be an apetite suppressor. It fools the brain into believing the stomach is full, while it is not. Wouldn't want to get that into an infant.
  I think loosing weight in a lactating woman should go the old fashioned way: eat better, move more and keep on breastfeeding to avoid overweight in your child's later life.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in drowsy southern Netherlands

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2