Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:18:33 EDT
The Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition has a number of outreach  projects.
We conducted 2 breastfeeding clinics for just physicians, taught by
physicians, with about 60 doctors and residents attending. We mailed 3 different  sets
of postcards to all pediatric and obstetric offices in the state with a
short quiz, answers, and a clinical pearl. We mailed our state breastfeeding
resource guide to all pediatric offices. We have a downloadable PDA program on
our website with clinical and medication information. Many physicians come to
our annual breastfeeding conference as we offer CMEs. We have a 1 hour
in-service presentation that we present to physician offices, taking  it to their
office usually during lunch. We try to exhibit at OB and  pediatric conferences.
Letters were sent to all hospital pediatric and obstetric  chiefs of staff
regarding the elimination of commercial discharge bags from the  hospital.

It still seems like an uphill battle in spite of all that we do. That's why
our new perinatal regulations will help improve lactation care and services in
 the hospital, as it seems some hospitals just won't move to improve unless
they  receive a "gentle" push. Our department of public health will be issuing
guidelines to accompany the new regs. Outreach takes many forms!

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA