From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 23:37:57 +0000
Linda write:
<<<Also, she wants to know what will happen if the plug doesn't
dislodge....I told her she might experience a mastitis, or loose the
milk supply in that area?>>>

I read that a recent study of breast tissue has revealed that there
is a lot more interconnection between duct systems than previously
thought.  In other words, if a duct is blocked some of the milk may
be able to be diverted higher up via an interconnection to another
duct.  I understand that this happens between ducts in a lobe, but
not betwen lobes.  Don't ask me for the reference, I am only half
way through tidying my office. Does anyone else have it?

This may explain why it is hard to predict the outcome of blocked
ducts that don't seem to clear.  Perhaps, if there is an alternate
route higher up the milk eventually gets used to that route and
stops putting pressure on the blocked area. Perhaps, sometimes, there
is no alternate route, in which case I would expect the milk would
build up fast with the mother experiencing more exaggerated symptoms,
sooner. Is this why some blockages go to mastitis fast, while others
have a slower course and seem to resolve?

There is so much we don't know about the breast. But if a 1000 LCs
share their knowledge and clinical experience through Lactnet, surely
we can make some progress.

Ros Escott
Tasmania, Australia