From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:59:34 -0700
Annette:

I'm a non-RN IBCLC employed at a hospital and I passed the exam for my 10
year re-cert in '03.
Mine is the only hospital, until recently, that would hire a non-RN IBCLC.
Another large chain in my area has hired one non-RN IBCLC, but only after
they had 2 or more RN-IBCLCs.
I was one of 3 hired to create a program. The only RN of us was assigned to
be the Lead and placed at a higher status and income level from the other
two of us non-RNs. This is not whining, or a complaint - just a statement
of fact. If the Powers That Be should include one or more of us in the next
layoff sweep, my only opiton is to work Private Practice out of my home,
and perhaps part time for a colleague who has a large PP established. It's
also possibly I might have to seek work outside the LC field to assure
sufficient income to keep the bills paid.

Yes, there are essential expenses: reference / study materials, exam fee,
possible travel / hotel for the exam, professional liability insurance,
ILCA membership, and if you carry "stuff" pump rentals and wholesale supply
costs. Then there's city/county/state requirements and fees just to have a
business license. A great many PPLCs would probably say they can't keep
their practice running on consultation fees alone.

In my area, you can't work for WIC unless you have an RD, DTR, or other
similar Dietary or Nutrition certification. The others, CLC, CBC, CLE,
IBCLC, are "gravy", more strongly encouraged now, but not yet required or
considered a replacement for the RD, DTR, etc. They would not interview me
for a breastfeeding counselor position because of my non-RD IBCLC.

BUT: for myself, I would probably do it again. That is unless old age and
short-term memory problems hit me in 2013.  :-}  I love the field and
consider it a point of personal pride to keep current, prove it by exam,
and #1 reason: Keep My Options Open.

Without your re-cert, clearly you can't practice any more. However, you
could become a very valuable La Leche League (or other mother's group)
asset and becoming a Leader should not be a problem. BTW: my colleague who
has the large PP is not an RN, yet local physicians DO refer their patients
to her on a regular basis. It did take time for that to happen, but that's
just the nature of business.

Hope this helps.
Phyllis

> I am looking for other non RN IBCLC people that have renewed their IBCLC
> status after 10 years with the test. It is becoming a big decision that I
will
> have to make by the summer.
> I love what I do as a lactation consultant but cannot work for doctors or
> hospitals in my area because I am not an RN. I am not sure I can justify
this
> exam and cost.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates