From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:53:04 -0700
I was offered and accepted a transfer to the nursery. However,
when I told my supervisor that I would not hand out formula
marketing bags she said that I could not work there if I would
not perform the "required duties."

Though a non-health care person, Kathy's hospital's mentality via
this supervisor is really angering me, especially after the
Surgeon General and Healthy People 2010 goals.

This mentality is what resulted in Baby Friendly Hospitals, of
which there are relatively few here in the US.
http://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/03.html

It just seems that the hospital credentialing people, The Joint
Commission, should see that the "norm," breastfeeding without
becoming formula company shills, should be the standard of care.
It is time for a parents' class action lawsuit to change this.

Just as there are various law firms taking on group child
abuse cases, this mishandling of infant feeding practices is
a type of early child abuse of the very first order.  The
Washington Post expose of intrusion into the Breastfeeding
Campaign proves it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/30/AR2007083002
198_pf.html

http://tinyurl.com/36jfzh

In a Feb. 17, 2004, letter to Thompson (pdf), Yeutter began
"Dear Tommy" and explained that the council wished to meet
with him because the draft ad campaign was inappropriately
"implying that mothers who use infant formula are placing
their babies at risk," and could give rise to class-action
lawsuits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/health/documents/yeutterletters.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/3dodrh

I am also concerned that this campaign will increase class
action lawsuits against the medical community and the industry.
The IFC would very much like to meet with you to articulate their
specific concerns.

It's time parents make HHS worst nightmare come true.  One large
settlement win against a hospital and staff would make the rest
change.
Judy