From:
Lorne Currie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 19:31:45 +0200
    I am the only LC in our province, Mpumalanga, South Africa and live in a small town.   I am no longer in practise.   A  mother from phoned me for help - got my name from my personal doctor.   Jenny, the mother,  originally comes from Singapore and is now working in a town 2000 kms up on the Mocambique coast, our neighbouring country.   They are missionaries in a very rural area.   Whilst helping her she asked me if I knew Doris Fok (LC) in Singapore - I nearly fell off the bed - of course I had heard of Doris Fok via Lactnet - she had helped with Jenny's last baby.   Through Lactnet I contacted Doris.
     Jenny has a very limited milk production.   Doris and I, both worked with her, have tried everything.   The most she produced here was 100 mls.   I strongly advised even though her supply is limited to persevere as "this is Africa"!   Normal looking breasts - hadn't used contraception for 8 years and then fell pregnant with 2nd baby.  She is 37.   Mother and sister both had breast cancer.  Due to financial contraints it was not investigated further.   She is now about three months down the line - breastfeeding what she can and supplementing.   The baby is doing well.   I encouraged her her to keep on with breastfeeding for nuturing etc. and for her own health sake.
     I saw Jenny yesterday-they are going back to Mocambique.   She thanked me for my help and  said that I would never know what a source of encouragement I had been to her thorugh very trying circumstances.  I  never really knew the true effect I had working with Jenny and how much I had taken for granted.   When we said "bye" she hugged me and said "Do you know how much my baby loves my breast?   She is addicted to it"   These were the most wonderful rewarding words.    Just a little story to share.   Lactnet reduces my world and I think it is the most wonderful resource.   I am happy I met Doris Fok from Singapore even if it is over the internet and I knew who she was!   I am grateful to have met Jenny - a little Mom with a very courageous spirit.   Permission given to post.
Barbie Currie, IBCLC.
Mpumalanga, South Africa.