From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 05:15:35 EDT
Here at our small community hospital (1200 births/year) we run an extensive
post-partum program, with classes that follow-up our Childbirth Prep classes,
beginning with newborn parenting and extending through mommy & me pre school
programs.

We found that there were many questions about breastfeeding in our classes,
so drafted a proposal to run a Breastfeeding support group. We wanted it to
run weekly, and be free to clients. The administration gave us twice/month,
and we had to convince them that our clients generated income by signing up
for other programs (paid) and purchased/rented pumps and supplies in order to
keep it free. But it was worth it....

The support group has been running for over 5 years now, and I think that
only *once* did we hold a meeting where no one came. There is definitely a
need in the community that is being met by this program. We do not interfere
with LLL meetings which are held in the evening, and often have moms who
attend both (I have a great rapport with our LLL leaders and we often refer
moms back and forth).

The support group meetings are listed monthly on our Warm line phone. It does
not seem to make a difference to moms if the group is facilitated by one of
the LCs or a volunteer mom recruited from our ranks or a WIC peer counselor.
(the lay people have the number to contact the LC with any problems beyond
their scope).

Kathy in NJ IBCLC RN C (Maternal-infant), APN C (Family Nurse Practitioner)
 PhD student hoping to study labor and lactation issues