From:
Jeanne Brotherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 16:48:38 -0700
My shorthand way to keep the readability level of materials, especially those in English that are written for patients/clients/consumers is pretty simple:  use only 2-syllable words!

Admittedly, there are times when it would be too cumbersome to explain something that a 3-syllable word would describe easily, but then I only use that word if it's pretty common.

Two syllables gets you to 5th grade reading level.   Most people find such materials to be easy to read and understand...and since many patients/clients/customers are in crisis or need to begin with, they appreciate that ease!

From an older and lazier :~) LC,,

Jeanne Brotherton
Bellingham, WA (The "real" Washington!)
USA