Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:46:41 EST
Janice, I was involved in starting a Breastfeeding support group at our
hospital. As hospital based LCs we joined an alreadly existing New Moms
support group.  We were very informal sitting on mats in a circle in our
childbirth classroom, Our  breastfeeding moms were encouraged to nurse their
babies in the group setting. After a while the moms who were bottlefeeding
would open up and tell of their "breastfeeding failure" The help and
encouragement they received from their peers was worth more to them than any
technical help we could give. The group is about 5 years old now and new moms
come and go but I really believe this is one of the best things we have done
to encourage breastfeeding in our community, We co-facciliate the group with
one of our mental health people , the group is held weekly from 1-3pm and we
usually have 10-14 moms. When we help our moms during their hospital stay we
encourage them to attend, especially the ones without alot of family support
or with out of town families.  Good luck!