From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:14:16 -0400
Since I don't have any of the info about the specific situation posted about
in the "weaning/depression" question, it's hard to address - was the premise
that weaning *caused* the depression, or that depression led to weaning, or
that this woman experienced depression following weaning? Or was she
depressed *and also* she weaned?

Hormonally, there's a relationship between BF, estrogen, serotonin, and
mood, so maybe the woman is just experiencing the re-adjustment of hormone
levels. But in my experience, it's very common for women to experience
depression after weaning; weaning marks a significant transition in life
stages, and at such times we are all prone to reflection and introspection
and sadness at what we're leaving behind. Maybe we know we will miss that
special relationship, maybe we're fearful about what comes next, maybe we
weren't quite "ready" (whatever that means) to wean just yet but thought we
"had to". Maybe we're ready to move to the next stage, but it's a different
stage and new to us, and maybe scary, or maybe not as satisfying as the one
we're leaving. So it's a natural time for mood changes, which might easily
be interpreted as depression. I would hate for us, in our zeal to be
"scientific", to forget that this important time in a woman's life shouldn't
be just sailed through without acknowledgement.

Or maybe it's all r/t changes in hormones, brain chemistry, etc. Equally
legit. Maybe she's experiencing just plain old medical "clinical
depression". But let's not let it all be attributed to BFing or weaning.

Feeling unbearably sensitive about depression & life changes right now, as
today my twin daughters (my babies!) graduate from high school, and last
month my son grad. from college. Just a different form of weaning. I'm the
first to admit to some depression around these events, but wouldn't blame
the depression on the graduations!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY