From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:03:53 +0100
Beautiful post, Ilene.
There always is a risk in generalizing, that's true.
Nevertheless, as a Dutch saying goes: "Exceptions confirm the rule/regular
situation."
I don't think it is impossible to see a certain picture emerging, just as
you can see a picture emerging from all kinds of situations and parenting
styles.
Kids that are treated harshly, will probably be more likely to treat their
peers harshly.
Kids with motivated parents, are probably more likely to find something
motivating for their own lives.
And... kids with parents that choose breastfeeding, are probably more likely
to feel at ease with physical contact (or some other thing inherent in
breastfeeding).
I can imagine, though, that it may be hard for you to read the
generalizations, just like it is hard for my former neighbour to have heard
that she has breastcancer in her glandular tissue, even though she breastfed
all her four kids... :-(
I think the art is in knowing general differences and yet not applying them
too strictly and remain flexible and open.
Much luck with your son; being nonconformist and creative and posing
different viewpoints are valuable characteristics, that do indeed often get
you in trouble. I know. ;o)

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands