From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 12:34:55 +0200
I recently got some promotional materials about pediatrics journals from a
publisher called Karger, based in Switzerland.  The cover of the brochure
was a solid color with a graphic representation of an infant feeding bottle
as the only element besides text about the various topics in pediatrics
covered by Karger's journals.
So, I wrote to them as follows:

"Hello,
I received your booklet about the various publications from Karger in
pediatrics.  I'm writing to say that the logo on the front page of the
booklet makes me curious.  It seems to be an infant feeding bottle, an
object which has come to represent the cause of much ill health, unhappiness
and even death in infants the world over.

I would hesitate to subscribe to a pediatrics journal that wanted to
associate itself with infant feeding bottles.  I would doubt that the
journal had the necessary commitment to promoting infant health through
normal feeding, i.e. breastfeeding throughout at least the two first years
of life, as recommended by WHO.

sincerely
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

A day or two later I received this reply:
"Thank you very much for your thoughtful message.
The logos or icons for all our subjects have been created in the early
seventies and have not been changed since. So far nobody has ever objected
to any one of them.
We have taken your arguments to heart and are considering replacing the
bottle symbol for our 2004 documentation and promotional material.
However, we find it rather daunting creating another symbol for pediatrics
that is simple, attractive and cannot be misconstrued to be endorsing any
specific form or manner of raising one's children. In order to keep it
neutral in all aspects of health issues, gender, religion and society
specifics we are currently in favour of a teddy bear  -- it would also cover
a wider age-span than the bottle (or any form of breast-feeding icon).
Since you have made us aware of the implications, we should very much like
to hear your opinion on such a new icon and any objections or suggestions
you may have."

I chose not to engage in an irate discussion with them about endorsing
specific forms or manners of raising children, though I don't know why they
should want to be 'neutral' in health issues.  I did say I prefer pictures
of babes in arms to babes alone, and briefly explained why.  I also
suggested they use the sign that is used to denote infant changing rooms in
public places in Norway - a baby in a diaper.  I got a .jpg image of the
symbol by writing to the agency responsible for air travel here.  Haven't
heard back from Karger yet.  A teddy bear would be a vast improvement over a
bottle in any case, IMO.  If any of you have suggestions I would be happy to
relay them to Karger too.

Until readers or potential readers speak up, the publishers won't know we
care.  Their bottom line is sales and they will do what they can to maximize
them.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
PS if anyone wants to see how we 'do' Constitution Day here (thanks
Winnie!!), go to www.fedrelandsvennen.no , click on 'les mer' under the
first headlined story (Hvem var best?) and then scroll down in the text to
click on 'Se alle innslagene her' which will open a photo series of all the
entries in the Citizens' Parade yesterday.  The first picture you see on the
front page story is my son's band, and he is second from the left in the
second row.