From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:56:11 -0400
I received a mailing today re: a series of conf for Lactation Counselor
Certificate Training Program (C.L.C.)

The whole list of instructors are people for whom I have the greatest
respect : Karin Cadwell, Lois Arnold, Elyse Blair, Sarah Danner, Kay
Hoover, Nikki Lee, Rebecca Matthews, Joanne McIlhenny, Debbie Pierce and
Cindy Turner-Maffei.

This training includes: Comprehensive BF mgmt tx; Practical skills, Time
saving hospital strategies, Strategies and tips for special circumstances,
how to talk to mothers, Public Health/WIC strategies and confidence
building.   "Inherent in this training program is a counseling approach.
That is, this program trains participants how to    gain insight into
clients' problems, with a strong focus on counseling skills."  Content and
objectives are based on competencies for lactation practice as laid out by
IBCLE.

"Who should attend the Lactation Counselor Certificate Program?  Hospital
staff, Public Health/WIC Personnel, Childbirth educators, Nurses who work
with pregnant or postpartum women, visiting nurses, Public Health Nurses,
Breastfeeding advocates, Midwives, Anyone who is thinking about taking the
IBCLE exam or who is scheduled to take it."

Now for the hard part....................

I was dismayed to see this addition to the alphabet soup!  Especially with
initials so similar to IBCLC (CLC).  Excuse me!
We have LLLL, IBCLC, LE, peer counselor.  What else do we need?   S.
Humenick (1992) suggested lactation initiator (LI) in JHL, 8(3), 121.  I
myself have suggested a clinical ladder for nurses using lactation
clinician (LCL I, LCL II, then LE, then sit for IBCLC exam).  I wasn't
happy with LCL I & II, but I couldn't think of anything else.  I'm not sure
if LE is copyright by UCLA.  After last week on Lactnet, I was sure you'd
all like to discuss this.  Personally  CLC is way to similar to IBCLC and I
hope IBCLE legal dept  challenges this use of CLC.

P.S. I agree with everything they are doing and teaching except for the
initials.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ