From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:18:18 -0500
 Ros Escott, Interim Executive Director of IBLCE asked me to post this for
her. Cathy Liles, IBCLC

 Nicky Lee writes that
> According to
> the WHO, this course is equivalent in preparation to that of the
> other credentialed breastfeeding helpers: LLL, IBCLC, CLE, NMC, etc.
> 45 continuing education credits are offered, which at present is
> enough to meet a requirement for the IBLCE exam.
>     There are many different ways to earn certification for
> work with breastfeeding; this is one of several.

 Ros Escott responds on behalf of IBLCE:
 I am not particularly familiar with the program Nikki is referring to,
 but I question her general comparisons because they are misleading in
 their suggestion of equivalence. Education is only one component of
 preparation to enter the breastfeeding support field. Also, the IBCLC
 is the only “credential” that is a professional Board Certification
 and accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies.

 IBLCE’s pre-exam eligibility requirements are not a statement about
 how much you need to do to become an IBCLC. There were developed to
 screen potential applicants, while the exam itself sets the standard
 for becoming an IBCLC. The minimum eligibility requirements can not be
 used as an indication of the amount of preparation candidates actually
 do, just as the number of education hours does not reflect the skills
 and knowledge required to pass the exam.

 Pre-exam education in lactation also needs to be recent (with the
 three year period immediately prior to sitting for the exam), relevant
 (to the exam blueprint), and reliable (based on current information
 and relevant research). Private study - many hours over a one to three
 year period - is a major component of exam preparation for all
 candidates. Their total education should reflect all disciplines and
 chronological periods on the exam blueprint. These days, many
 candidates participate in a comprehensive lactation education program
 which covers all or most of the blueprint. Such a program is typically
 much longer than the required minimum of 45 hours because it is
 impossible to cover the entire exam blueprint, at the depth required,
 in the minimum time.

 The EU Blueprint for Action on breastfeeding, launched in 2004,
 identified a set of actions which were supported by evidence of proven
 effectiveness. IBCLC is the only credential which met their standards
 and is mentioned in several places in the document as the recommended
 standard. The following footnote recognises, as all of us should, that
 IBCLC represents far more than a 45 hours course.

 EU Blueprint footnote: The IBLCE credential is awarded to successful
 candidates after a competency-based exam, irrespective of the
 lactation management course followed. The IBLCE exam has been
 administered worldwide in several languages for 20 years.
 Re-accreditation is mandatory every 5 years. Certificants must adhere
 to a Code of Ethics and work according to Standards of Practice. An
 independent commission for certifying agencies since 1988 has
 regularly accredited the IBLCE certification process.

Ros Escott BAppSc IBCLC
IBLCE Interim Executive Director