From:
Rachel O'Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:42:02 +0000
Dear all,

One big way in which breastfeeding differs from giving up smoking is
that you only get one chance to do it (per child) - whereas you can
take several tries at giving up smoking until it works. So messages
can be very different. (and I salute all the mothers who struggle with
feeding issues for weeks and months before eventually making their way
to full breastfeeding! :))

Another difference between breastfeeding and, say taking exercise or
eating better, is that you can do those things bit by bit, whereas
with breastfeeding you're either doing it or you're not. (Again, kudos
to all those who make their way back from supplementing to exclusive
breastfeeding). So it's harder to make those SMART goals - small,
achievable, realistic and what's the T?

Maybe we could try bringing this approach into our work more - for
example, one goal for a pregnant mother might be to 'listen to other
mothers' experiences of breastfeeding', another 'to find out what
causes sore nipples' or 'to find somebody knowledgeable about
breastfeeding'. Maybe even 'to read a leaflet about it', 'to request
skin to skin contact immediately after the birth', or 'to talk with my
health care provider about breastfeeding.'

Later on, goals might be 'to breastfeed for a week/a month/ three
months'.

What else can we think of to make the process more manageable for
mothers for whom it's foreign?

Rachel
Rachel O'Leary, near Cambridge in UK