Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:29:10 -0400
Hi Jay,

Coming from an LLLL background, we've always been warned about reporting
"the safety" of a drug, which seems to carry medical implications. Nobody
has really proven that these drugs are "safe" as much as they've stated they
do not carry risk, or they carry a lower risk, or a higher risk.

For example, Tylenol/acetaminophen is listed as "safe" in Medications and
Maternal Drugs. As an LLLL, I would report to the mother the information
that this medication has been tested and found to be a low risk for a
breastfeeding couplet.

As a recent RN grad, I don't suspect my method of imparting information will
change. I witnessed a nurse give 2 Tylenol to a youth this summer, and she
developed a bad reaction. Under the typical circumstances, this girl
shouldn't have had a problem with it, but it turns out that she had taken an
overdose relatively recently, and it looks as though her liver wasn't coping
with this dose.

As a doctor, you may or may not have a different set of standards as to
safety, but as me? Things aren't safe or not safe, they carry less or more
risk.

Best wishes,
Sam Doak
Marietta OH

We're going to Candy Mountain, Charlie!

<<

What I have learned to say in email responses and on the phone is:

ģI tell the patients in my practice who ask this question that it is safe to
take ____________  while nursing." Or similar types of advice.

This is important even to licensed HCPs and crucial if the request for
information is from another state.

Does anyone here NOT think this is sufficient to protect oneself?

Best,