From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:13:05 +0200
>It is also risky. In this society, when mothers are so preoccupied with
>food and calories, 500 calories a day sounds huge. It could put women off.
>
>Also, what is the point of giving this info (I think everyone should have
>info, but only if it is correct and helpful)? No one expects a mother to
>actually count those calories in....eat according to your hunger is the
>most we can say with any degree of authority, surely?

The point of giving this info is that many mothers ask for it, and there are plenty of mothers who are interested in making a conscious yet safe effort to lose weight after giving birth.  So, although it makes the most sense to
simply tell these mothers to eat according to hunger, and it is true that weight loss while breastfeeding is very individual and variable, many mothers want more detailed information to help them lose weight while breastfeeding, without compromising her baby's or her own health.
Maybe this the turf of a dietician, but as a lactation professional I would like to be able to provide the most correct information possible.   So,  are there any studies that tell us what these numbers are? 500, 300, zero?  Does it depend on the babies age?  I am really not into numbers and measuring, but I'm curious about this.

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel