From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 13:15:12 -0500
Hi All,

I've received several requests to reprint my post "how milk is made." This
presents a real dilemma since (1) I want the information and ideas to
spread widely, but (2) simply reprinting my post doesn't do the subject
justice and may even backfire on the presenter. I didn't mean for this to
be a "magic bullet" to hand to others with the admonition "Here, read
THIS!!" I wanted it to be a springboard to learning more about the subject,
and to serve as a catalyst for your own thoughts on how to better explain
this to others. The most important idea I tried to present is "READ the
literature" and "do your homework" on this and other subjects pertinent to
breastfeeding.

Milk synthesis is a very complex process. People get PhD's studying it and
researching the mechanisms involved. I've merely summarized/explained what
I've learned from the research, lectures, and published literature in a way
that helps me to better understand the issue. When I teach or lecture on
this subject, it's a 2-hour talk with 45 overheads, and I'm still gathering
material. The questions from the audience/students are often (1)
challenging, (2) very sophisticated, (3) and sometimes confrontive. I keep
a big folder of my notes, original research articles, page notations from
texts, etc. handy to answer questions.

For example, Bonnie Northern asked about the "light studies that were done
showing that the storage capacity of the two breasts was only about 1 1/2
ounces, therefore leading us to
believe that the rest of the feeding must be made at the time of the
feeding." Dr. Hartmann's research (and many moms' experience) strongly
supports the idea that breasts DO have storage capacity, often greatly
exceeding 1.5 ounces. How else could some moms express 4-6 ounces from ONE
breast, which we've all seen?

So for those who asked: yes, please do print out a personal copy. Yes,
please do use the ideas! But No, please do not hand it out to others or
re-post it unless you are very secure with the information and ideas
yourself.

More discussion is welcome.

Linda Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre