From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:29:52 -0500
Linda,  in teaching dieticians I think they need to be aware that some women
may stop breastfeeding if the dietary instructions are too complex (to
understand or to follow).  If the woman feels she can't meet the
recommendations and will therefore make "bad" milk formula becomes an
attractive alternative.  I'm sure you could find formula company literature
on "diet for breastfeeding mothers" to get good examples of how
unnecessarily complex it can be made.   When needed,  dietary instruction
can still be given.  Moms should know that they need a balanced diet and
adequate calories just like we ALL do and that they will be a more healthy
and productive mother because of an adequate diet  but that breastfeeding is
very robust and small to moderately large dietary indiscretions do not make
bad milk.    Carla